Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cafe Juanita; Kirkland, WA

I am sure I am not the first to attest to this.  Nor will I be the last.  If you have food allergies or sensitivities, and are seeking a romantic, delicious, dining experience, Cafe Juanita fits the bill.  Cafe Juanita is an intimate eatery, in an old house converted into a restaurant, serving northern Italian food.  Located north and east of Seattle, on the north end of Lake Washington in Kirkland, Cafe Juanita is committed to organics and sustainability, and its chefs are "able to easily modify dishes to accommodate dietary restrictions," as stated on their website.  Chef and owner Holly Smith was even featured on the Food Network show, Iron Chef, and features an eclectic mix of flavors on her frequently changing menu.

When I made our Friday night dinner reservations, I was sure to inform the staff of my gluten, dairy, and soy allergies.  I was uncertain if the information would be passed on, but when we were seated, the waitress made it apparent that she and the kitchen were well aware.  In fact, she revealed that they had created multiple versions of their dishes that would suit me.  I felt so pampered, and the burden of having to explain "my situation" was eliminated. 


To start the meal, the waitress brought out the bread basket, usually an off-limits aspect of restaurant meals for me.  However, at Cafe Juanita, they made a special chickpea flour, naan-like bread for me.  It was soft and perfect for soaking up olive oil and gluten free balsamic vinegar; quite a treat!


For the main course, the waitress informed me that any of the entrées on their menu could be prepared to suit my needs.  This was an incredible realization, because I usually only have one or two choices that appeal to me, and then I must request that the kitchen to go out of their way to alter the dish I select for me.  She continued to describe the entreés, and the substitutions that they could make, noting that they make their own gluten free pasta in house.  Each of the dishes sounded so incredibly delicious that I knew it would be difficult to make up my mind.


Paired with my 2010 Château Haut-Mayne, Semillon/Sauvignon, my halibut was impeccable.  It came perfectly cooked, placed delicately over a cauliflower puree, alongside micro greens and veggies, and adorned beautifully.  I ordered a side of roasted Brussels sprouts, which were prepared with anchovy, garlic, and lemon, and tasted amazingly delectable.


One of my favorite aspects of the meal was dessert... but not for reasons most of you enjoy dessert.  In most restaurants, dessert is not able to be altered or changed to meet my dietary needs, and so I am unable to order it.   At Cafe Juanita, however, I had a number of choices.  Nick and I shared two of them, both of which were perfect finales to our fabulous meal.


While I cannot confirm that there is no cross-contamination present at Cafe Juanita, if you are an individual with food sensitivities (or nothing life threatening), it is an amazing place to feel pampered, eat whole, sustainable food, and enjoy a meal out to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment