Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Friedman's Lunch; New York, NY

On a recent trip to NYC, we visited the famous Chelsea Market.  Chelsea Market is an office building and television production facility, which has an enclosed shopping mall and multiple food establishments within it.  It is located in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City.  Chelsea Market is a memorable place to visit, and each of the shops and restaurants it houses are unique places to browse and/or stop for a bite to eat.  Heralded for being "NYC's premiere gluten free dining destination" I knew that one of the restaurants within Chelsea Market, Friedman's Lunch, would be a great place for us to eat dinner one evening while we were in the city.

Friedman's Lunch serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as offering delivery, catering, or take-out, seven days a week.  The menu changes seasonally, and it features interesting dishes and flavors, and most importantly for me, it offers many gluten free dishes and the option to make most entrees gluten free.  And, they claim to have no risk of gluten cross-contamination by using dedicated knives and a specific deep fryer.  As far as the cross contamination of other allergens, they cannot guarantee that.  I was assured, however, that my meal could be made without dairy, and soy.

I ordered the southwestern turkey burger, which was served on a soft, gluten free bun and with perfectly spiced sweet potato fries from the dedicated fryer.  I am not usually one to order french fries, but I had a hankering for them that evening.  Boy was I glad to have indulged... they were delicious!  To complete my meal, I ordered a small green salad and splurged on a gluten free beer (made from sorghum), a Redbridge.

The final verdict?  The meal absolutely satisfying and wonderfully tasty, and I appreciated that the restaurant was very willing to not only accommodate my gluten free needs, but also my dairy and soy allergies.  I was thoroughly full and happy!  When we get back to NYC, I'll be sure to venture back to Friedman's Lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment